Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Reading to an Audience

Fortunately, many brilliant people inhabit my life. Some are relatives, others are extended family, and there are all kinds of very valued friends. Allison Bliss is a brilliant person and her business, Allison Bliss Consulting, is an expression of so many of her extraordinary qualities. One of these is as a constant generator of meaningful ideas. Yesterday, she posed the following questions about a reading and signing that I did at Books Inc. in Alameda (at the invitation of my dear friend, Jerry Thompson) at the beginning of this year:

How did it feel?
Reading to an audience always feels wonderful. It's a lot like teaching in a classroom. Facing a group of people can be a very effective way of communicating with observers because it provides such a perfect opportunity for openness. Looking others in the eye stirs something within each of us. When I read to groups, I tell them that I will focus on the pages rather than looking up mechanically to make eye contact. Concentrating on the page re-inserts me into the writing zone and allows me to do my best presentation for listeners.

How did the audience respond?
They seemed very immersed in the reading; I felt that they were listening deeply. They offered interesting comments and asked compelling questions.

What feedback did you get?
The feedback that stands out was about the comforting nature of being read to. Perhaps one of the most thrilling things about getting feedback is the element of surprise. A writer could never anticipate how all readers will respond to their work. For one thing, it's good to remember that it will always be a mystery exactly how many people read one's work and what will be  their reactions. But when you do get to interact with readers, they often teach you new aspects of your own stories. Writing and reading are very interactive processes.

What did you learn?
I was reminded of how important it is to express how much I love writing when I read and discuss my work. This feels entirely natural to me. Sometimes, I assume that all writers feel that way, but I'm frequently reminded that this is a very individual experience.

How did it help you grow as a writer?
Each reading is unique and naturally augments the one that came before. Comfort increases with practice. That particular reading (at Books Inc.) made me want to do more. It reminded me of certain limitations of ebook devices. They don't adapt to getting authors' signatures; they're quite impersonal in many ways compared to physical books. What did I learn? I learned that writing and reading indeed have great potential for unifying people. I knew almost everyone who came to that particular reading and had not seen many of them for a very long time. It was a wonderful and moving reunion. What a blessing to be surrounded and embraced by so many brilliant relatives, extended family, and valued friends.
Allison Bliss

1 comment:

Allison Bliss said...

Beautiful, Valerie. And surprising your experience reading aloud. Had to read your entire blog upon receiving this and find it very worthy of my scrimpingly little time. Thanks for shout out, too.