Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Paule Marshall Said

While walking on a beach in Tenacatita, Mexico with a friend, we talked about books and Paule Marshall's name came up. Immediately, I felt a kinship with Ms. Marshall because we both have roots in Barbados. I've read all of her books (The Chosen Place, the Timeless People; Brown Girl, Brownstones; Daughters; Praisesong for the Widow; Reena and Other Stories; Soul, Clap Hands and Sing; The Fisher King; and Triangular Road). During the time that I was participating in writers groups, a facilitator advised everyone to stay with one point of view (POV), no matter what. I remembered a scene in which Ms. Marshall changed POV seamlessly with great effect. I was able to ask her how she did it. She said, "Do what makes sense." What a multipurpose piece of advice!

No comments: