Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Polishing versus Revising

This morning, my husband asked me if I thought there was a difference between revising a manuscript and polishing it. I thought about this for a moment. I believe that pausing to think is becoming more important in order to yield the best possible response. I'm in the midst of polishing a manuscript so I was relieved at the spontaneous distinction that emerged. I'd say that polishing applies to refining a sound framework whereas revising relates to reconnecting dots more efficiently, which is a larger job.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've thought about it, meditated on it and responded spontaneously (not necessarily in that order) and I think that polishing refers to enhancing or bringing out the beauty in what already exists. The trick is, I think, that in polishing the creator of the observable thing (book, painting, movie, . . .) is clear about the power of thing created. In short, the creator sweetens the creation the way would make sweeter an already sweet cup of coffee. To make the analogy even an little more abstract, my guess is that the creator tastes the coffee before it is even poured.

I think that revising means messing with the essence of the thing. This can be okay or ruinous depending on how clear the creator (of the thing) is with regard to the creation and intended purpose of the creation. The process of revising can juxtapose essential elements in an even stronger configuration or render the essence unrecognizable and unfeelable.

Ken said...

The June 24, 2010 post is, perhaps, a perfect example of polishing or lack of polishing. The poster (who happens to be me) omitted a few words but I don't think that the essence or guts of what I was trying to say got lost. Maybe revising = gutting.

tannerblue said...

There's always ample room for stream of consciousness.